(Read till the end to see surprise)
In recent times, there has been a lot of buzz about these tiny pint-size seeds called chia seeds. Chia seeds, which are derived from the Salvia hispanica plant, are super nutritious and fun to eat. Be it a health blog or a lifestyle column, chia seeds have been on the top of the list. People who haven’t tried chia seeds and just have heard the word on the street might be confused as to why be they so special. The chia seed, native to South America, is originally a sage kind and, as you would expect, is derived from the chia plant. Chia plant is a large plant and is generally grown in large lands. However, it can also be grown easily in gardens and pots. Therefore, you may plant the chia seed by germinating, and then you may grow it in your house and consume its seeds.
You don’t need great culinary skills to incorporate them into your foods. They are actually very easy to work with. They’re used in a variety of recipes, including puddings, pancakes, and parfaits. Chia seeds have the unique ability to absorb liquid and take on a gelatinous consistency. For this reason, they’re often used as a thickening agent and can even be used as a vegan substitute in some baked goods.
Their role in assisting weight loss, improving bone health, and improving cardiovascular health, has prompted experts to deem this whole-grain option a superfood. After we know Chia seed and learn how to consume it, now here are the benefits of chia seed… Followings are the benefits of chia seed on our health!
- Chia seed is a perfect source of protein.
- With its antioxidant content, it has substantial benefits for skin health.
- Chia seed is a true source of fiber, which helps to control and lose weight.
- It also helps to boost intestinal health with its rich fiber content.
- Chia seed is also very rich in omega-3. It supports brain health and protects against cancer.
- It is rich in terms of calcium and vitamin A. Hence, supports teeth and bone health.
- It helps to balance blood sugar and prevent diabetes.
- It gives the feeling of fullness and gives energy. (another secret to control and lose weight)
- Chia seed increases good cholesterol; helps to lower bad cholesterol. This means that it is quite useful for cardiac health.
- It is rich in manganese known for its beneficial effect on bone health.
#Extra: Here is one interesting recipe for you to try.
Dark Chocolate Chia Pudding
Ingredients you need (for a single serving):
- 3 tablespoons black chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Coconut yogurt, chopped hazelnuts, and chocolate chips to garnish
Whisk together the chia seeds, raw cacao powder, maple syrup, and almond milk in a bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 – 15 minutes until it has thickened. Give it a stir before serving then add the chia pudding into a jar (or keep it in the bowl). Top it with coconut yogurt, nuts, and some chocolate chips if desired!
Voila! Your quick, healthy and interesting dark chocolate chia pudding is ready!!